Shopping for glasses online can be difficult because you can’t try the frame on. So how do you know which frame style is right for your face?
Which Frame Style is Right for My Face?
When you’re shopping online for prescription glasses, choosing a frame shape can be considerably harder than choosing in person. This is one of the reasons that we offer a “buy frame only” button on all of the glasses we sell; lots of people like to purchase several frames to try on before comitting to purchasing one.
If you’re not even sure where to begin shopping for your prescription glasses, though, there are some solid rules of thumb that will help you make a decision. Face shape, face size, and eye or hair color can make a difference in your frame choice.
Here are some helpful tips to get you on the right track when shopping for prescription glasses:
- The shape of a frame should complement and offset the shape of your face. For instance, rounded facial features work well with angular frames, tall works with wide, etc.
- If you have an oval-shaped face, most frame styles should work for you. Just make sure you choose the correct frame size so it does not come too wide or too narrow in relation to your face.
- If you have a rounded face, a frame with sharp corners or boxy lenses will complement your face.
- If you have a square face or sharp facial features, a rounded frame will complement your features well.
- If you have a narrow chin and wider forehead, selecting a frame that is wider at bottom than on top will help to balance your features.
- If you have a wider chin and narrower forehead, a frame that is wider on top than on bottom will balance your features.
- When choosing a frame color, make sure to pick one that will bring out your best color feature. If you love your eye color or hair color, get a frame that works with that color.
Shopping for prescription glasses online should not be that hard if you know what kind of frames to look for, and in some ways it may be easier than in person. Too often, optical professionals throw the kitchen sink at you with their frame displays, showing countless frames and organizing them by brand instead of by shape.
On our site, you can organize frame shapes according to what you’re looking for, narrowing your search to a specific frame style that works best for you. Shopping for prescription glasses has never been easier.
If you have any questions or comments about frame shapes, let us know in the comments below! We’d love to hear from you. Thanks for reading!