Shopping for sunglasses usually starts at frame choices… but what about polarization?
The Pros and Cons of Polarized and Non Polarized Sunglasses
Polarization is a useful trait for many sunglasses, but some people with polarized sunglasses will find them to be a detriment to their work or time outdoors. Some people prefer the lighter, gentler qualities of non polarized sunglasses. Polarization is great, but it’s not for everyone.
If you’ve ever had polarized sunglasses before, you may notice that you have a hard time seeing many digital screens while wearing them, and LCD screens can be virtually impossible to see. On the other hand, your visual acuity, clarity on hazy or hot days, and comfort in very bright sun was probably much improved.
What should you consider when deciding to get polarized sunglasses vs non polarized sunglasses?
- Polarized sunglasses filter light, blocking stray and scattered light from getting through the lenses to your eyes. This cuts down on haziness and smog on hot or muggy days.
- Polarized sunglasses block much reflected light, enabling you to see better into water and cutting down on the glare caused by sunlight reflected off of cars and other surfaces.
- Polarized sunglasses make lenses darker, so if you are especially sensitive to bright sunlight, polarization will give you the best protection from the sun.
- Polarized sunglasses diminish your ability to see digital screens properly, including phones and GPS systems. They virtually remove your ability to use LCD screens.
- Non polarized sunglasses can be made in many more colors and levels of darkness than polarized sunglasses can.
- Non polarized sunglasses can be made with very lightly colored lenses, enabling you to get sunglasses that can be worn inside in good lighting.
- Polarized sunglasses are especially useful in water sports and skiing, where the reflections from surfaces below you increase or nearly double the amount of light that can reach your eyes.
Polarization can be a big asset in a pair of sunglasses. It adds to the functionality and overall usefulness of a pair of shades. If you’ve never used polarized sunglasses before, it’s a good idea to consider them.
The best thing you can do when considering whether to purchase a pair of polarized sunglasses is decide what you’re going to use them for, then look over the above list to decide whether polarized sunglasses vs non polarized sunglasses are best for that use.
If you have any questions about polarized sunglasses, non polarized sunglasses, or prescription sunglasses, leave us a comment below. Thanks for reading, and enjoy your summer!